Removal of Children to Another Jurisdiction: What Every Parent Should Know

By Jonathan E. Fields, Esq.

When a parent wants to move with the child outside of Massachusetts, and the other parent does not consent to the removal, a complex legal analysis must be undertaken in order to determine the rights and responsibilities of the parents and the child.  If the parties cannot come to an agreement themselves, a Guardian Ad Litem (GAL), usually an attorney, is often appointed to investigate and report on the matter.  The parties might settle after the GAL report but, if not, each has a right to pursue the case to trial and have a judge decide the matter.

This article seeks to explain the law of removal – and to be of use to both parties and practitioners.

Read article here.

For all relevant Massachusetts cases on removal, go here and scroll down for “Removal.”